Friday, March 9, 2012

Xterra Guam, post race!

I was up bright and early this morning, couldn't even see anything in transition the first 30 min! I set up my transition, got body marked. I bought a few Karma points this morning,mgiving a spare tube to pro Renata Bucher, I figure it couldn't hurt really, she would end up winning the pro women division. The race director has been nice enough to point out I was the first Canadian ever to race in Guam, he also put the pressure saying I was a contender in mynage group, so mmuch for keeping a low profile! The swim was a 750 m lap, twice but no run on the beach. Alas my goggles were leaking, I exited the water in 31:52, slightly desapointed andbknoeingbi would be behind the 8 ball in my age group as there were some fast guys. As usual the pro rack was empty but there was still bikes in transition. I set a fast pace on the tar section hoping to gain some grounds. I past some riders and exited into the single track. If Mars was rideable it would probably look like the Guam bike course, a see of red dirt! I had a relatively clean ride, no crash and a few dismount. I rolled in transition with a bike split of 1:47, not bad but I was hoping for a bit of a fast time. As I was exiting the transition, Eric, the race director, announced that I was sitting in third position in my age group. I was looking forward to the run especially the river section as the temperature was around 37 degree Celsius. I took a wrong turn on the run and I knew I wasn't going the right direction, this was corrected quick enough but as I entered the water fall I saw a guy that look like he would fit my age group. A quick question verified that he was indeed in my age group, it was time to turn it up, I didn't want to get passed. The river section was very refreshing. I saw Jamie Whitmore husband and after a quick hello I kept pushing on. The last section was "beach run" more like a beach swim!!! I would cross the line in 3:17 good for a third place in my age group and 18 of 123 overall. This would also secure a spot for the worlds in Maui in October! So now it's time for compression, food and a the party tonight!!! Stay tuned for next weeks adventure which will take me to Cebu, Philippines for Xterra Philippines. Until then, happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment