Friday, March 23, 2012

Triple crown is over, race report from Xterra Saipan

This was my second year racing in Saipan and it holds a special place for me. It was site of my first Xterra, this is where I qualified for the world championship, I swam in a tsunami and met the Moores and the Browns. An early start again to beat the heat, I was lucky to bum a ride from no one else than top triathlete Renata Bucher. With an arrival in transition at 5:20 for a 6:30 start, there were no lights out just yet. I felt tired, I'm fighting a cold( who gets a cold in the tropics) but I was determined to have a good race, this being the last one of the triple crown. The current was strong this morning and I would soon find out that at the second turn boye, it seemed that I would go backwards at times! I was out of the water and off to the bike portion,which features 2800 feet of elevation gain and some technical descents. I manage to fall and bruise my palm on a non technical section, don't ask me how, but what is done is done. I forged on and got to transition 3 min slower than last year and headed out on the run. The run is fun, technical and grueling at the same time. Some steep climbs but then some very harsh rocky decent. You even go through a cave that was used during the second World War. Once you exit the jungle, it's a beach run to the finish. I would cross the line in 3:27:41, good enough for a third place in my age group and a personal best by almost 7 minutes from last year. This past three weeks have been pretty cool, I have met some awesome people in Guam, Philippines and got to see Al, Allison and Cathy in Saipan. I got to train with some pros, I biked and run in places that most people will probably ever have a chance. I escape injuries for the most part and I have to say, Jason and the crew got my bike so dialed in from Westwood Cycle Maple Ridge that I didn't have any major issues apart from my pedals. I hope you enjoyed the journey, I know I sure did. It's now time for me to hit the lazy river at the PIC and enjoy the rest of my vacation. If you wonder whats next? Xterra Las Vegas April 14, until then, happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment