Thursday, March 10, 2011

Xterra Saipan, T -16 hours

I ended up going for a short hike yesterday to scout a part of the run course called my some "death valley" with a few Xterra competitors that. Have met here. This section in down a ravine, with rocks, drops, going through caves and such. It was pretty neat to see but I gather it will be a slow section in order to keep my ankles alive!

I woke this morning and after breakfast, I went to the beach for a 20 min open water swim, followed by nice easy one hour bike ride. That's it till race time. I have prepared most of my stuff for the race already and I just need to pickup my race packet. I can tell you that I will be #119 and that there are 8 guys in my age group who will surely battle for the three slot available for the world championship in Maui. The race will start at 0630 local time so for the west coast it will be Friday at 1230 pm.

I frequently get asked two questions when it comes down to racing: Do I feel prepared and why do I do it. The first is simple, I never feel like I have put enough time, but I think it's normal. As for the second question, I race because I get to see places I would probably never would and always meet great people. As for the second question why I race, I forget about the reality, pressures, stress and disappointment that life throws at us, it's just me, the trail and the thrill of the chase and nothing beats that. I will write a full race report tomorrow. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem, I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment