Friday, March 11, 2011

Post race results

I have been weighted, I have been measured and I hope I was worthy. After a Tsunami warning last night, I was up early at 415 in order to get ready for the shuttle to the race site at 5 am. I was please with my position that I pick on the rack as in was close to the bike exit, sadly I was also in a red ant colony but I decided to stay there. Listening to my music I made my way to marking after I was happy with my transition setup. 615 was the last brief before the race. We took a moment of silence for the victims of the Tsunami in Japan. A last minute change on the swim course, due to currents and we were off. The swim course consisted of 2 laps of 750 m each with a short run on the beach in between. The first lap went well and I was please with my split. As I entered back in the water for the second one, things seemed diffent. I was being tossed by the waves like I was in a washing machine! I exited the swim in 26 min. I would later learn that we physically swam in a mini Tsunami, hence why the waves were so rough. I guess I can check that off the list! My transition wasn't smooth as much I had hope to from the swim but I was off on the bike. The bike course starts with a nice uphill, the problem is that we had rain last night and a bit this morning, so the course would be slick. As I progressed through the course I noticed that I was about to loose my bottle cage on my rear seat. With all the Tsunami excitement last night, I had forgotten to tighten the screws so sadly I had to finish my drink from my brand new experience cycling bottle and had to toss it, I know the guys at the shop won't be happy with it but I had no where to put it! Shortly there after, I would loose the bottle cage as well. We were lucky as the weather was overcast. I made my way through the bike course in 1:53 and was happy with my time, I was hoping to be under two hours. I survived the bike course with only a few minor scrapes and fell off the bike once. I had a fast transition off the bike until I realized I had left my running belt at my station, so I had to go back and get it. I was wondering if the bike had killed my legs as I had been pushing hard. The run proved to be challenging, hilly and with the rain very slick. I had to hike some up hill portion as well as "death valley" on the down hill as it was too slippery. The cave on the way down was lit and it was quite cool to go through it. The final portion on the run was on the beach, including a water crossing! As in was approaching the finish line, I had no idea where I was standing in my my age group. I knew I had reeled in a lot of riders on the mountain bike portion but didn't know if that would be enough. I would cross the finish line in 3:35:13 with my run portion being 1:15. Considering the terrain, heat and my legs, I was happy with that. I was handed my time card which was placing me in third place. I hadn't realized but due to my number, they had me in the pro division! The timing crew fix it and put me in my age group, which I placed second in the 35-39 age group. I was fourth in the men's and ninth overall, good enough for a qualifying slot for the world in Maui in October. I was thrilled! I stayed around to see my new found Xterra friends Alen and GL, from Grand Rapid Michigan, cross the finish line. This race was great, the organizer run a first class operation and the locals have been wonderful. I somewhat suspect that this will not be the last time I find myself in Saipan, I will have to return next year for the race. What's next you ask? Some drinks, the pool and a dinner with all the xterra's competitors. After all the bad stuff from yesterday, it will be nice to relax. My thoughts are with the victim of the Tsunami and their family. On that note, happy trails! Where ever that may take you.

Carpe Diem

1 comment:

  1. Right on Chuck!!! You did yourself and Canada proud! Enjoy your well earned rest and we'll see you when you get back!

    -Chris

    ReplyDelete