Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Saipan day 4

After my ride yesterday I ended up doing a little more touring of WWII sites near where I am staying, north island. Banzai cliff was sadly made infamous for the suicide of many japaneese troup and citizen when they were defeated by the US. They had been so brain washed that to them it was the only option. Many memorial were there and I took the time to take a look at them. I also visited the last command post, a japaneese dug out with artillery and a cave.

I woke up early again this morning, so much for sleeping in on vacation! I went for a bike ride close to where I'm staying and decided to visit the last few site close to home while training. I saw suicide cliff, same ideas than Banzai. I then saw bird island and the grotto, which is a cave where divers can go in. Funny enough I saw more chickens! I then finished my ride and went for a 25 min run. I have been writing my blog at this nice Java beach cafe, who has a great deal for lunch every day and free wifi! Highly recommend it if you are in the area. I saw some riders today on their mountain bike, I'm sure they were racers. One of them was riding a specialized hard tail 29 er, the very bike I was hoping to get for this race. I'm moving to the host hotel tomorrow, not wanting to draw too much on the hospitality of my host. Tomorrow is a off day for workouts but I will still post something regardless. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment