Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 3 in Saipan

I woke up this morning determined to go ride the bike course for the race. I was greeted by an email from the race director with directions. I haven't been able to sleep in so I figure I would try to use the morning coolness to my advantage. Wearing the shop's bike shorts and my Canada jersey, I was off. Race directors are always on the sadistic side of things, and this bike course would not be any different with a major climb right off the bat. Once off the tar and on the trails I met a few people still working on them. I also ran into the race director. We spoke briefly and I was on my way. The course was well marked but I blew a marker so I had to come back the hill I just went down. This course has a good mixture of tar, off road, single track, jungle, high grass and stunning vistas. I think I know why they are calling Xterra Saipan the crown jewel of it's global serie. The bike responded well, I fell only once, which was my fault but that's why I like pre ridding the course, won't take that line the next time. I also got attack by a few trees. Nothing like having barking dogs coming at you though, I even saw a chicken crossing the trail at one point! I was happy with my time considering I was not in race mode, hopefully I can build on that for Saturday. I am amazed at how much people are friendly here, everyone was waving as I was riding my bike. The heat is definitely a factor and I can see why the race starts at 630. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment