Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gear 2.0: NUtrition



A lot of people always ask me what I use to feed myself. The photo above is but a small samples of all the products I use for racing. First and foremost one has to stay hydrated and have electrolytes in order be able to keep going forward. I use 3 types of electrolyte drinks. THE first one is called HEED and is made by Hammer Nutrition. I am a big fan of their products as they use natural sugar and clean ingredients. In addition I use NUUN tablets. These little tablet make your water fizzy and come in a variety of of flavour, they don't have any calories attached to them. My favourite flavour is orange ginger as well as Kona Cola, which has caffeine in it. Lastly GU Brew in blueberry/pomegranate flavour is quite tasty and another great electrolyte drink. When it comes down to calorie intake, I like the liquid stuff. Easy to digest and easy to process especially on the bike. Again I use Hammer products for my needs. PERTEUM has protein and carbs, I also use Sustained Energy. I usually mixed them and will plan to have around 350 calories an hour when racing. I will complement with Hammer Gels. My favourite flavour is Raspberry but I also make a raspberry/chocolate mix. Finally when on the run I like Power bar blast, they are almost like soft gummy bear with calories and caffeine in them. When the weather is really hot I will also take salt tablets to help my body keep its electrolytes level. Nutrition is often overlook in many discipline but really it is probably the most important one. You can be in the best shape of your life but if there is nothing feeding the machine, you'll be in trouble. 2 weeks till Ironman, taper in full swing and slowly getting anxious and nervous. Happy Trails

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment