Sunday, October 26, 2014

Maui, the aftermath

I heard the wave crashing all night long, I should have known it was a sign......

Woke up today to a nice and bright day, no rain in the forecast, which meant that the bike course would be perfect. Like most I never sleep great the night before, waking up every hour and looking at the clock, making sure I'm not sleeping in.  After a seamless transition set up, including a generous application of sun screen from Planet Sun, I decided to go for a light jog.  I needed to get my legs moving and get rid of the jitter.  I knew Steph and her parents would meet me by the beach.  As transition closed up by 830, it was time for me to head down to DT Fleming Beach for the start of the race.  I'd seen my tribe, Al, Allison , Pat and GL in transition so at least if I didn't see them there,mid had a chance to wish them luck.

Swim report brought to you by KTape and Restore Physio Therapy: Let me preface this, as of two weeks ago it had been 4 months since I had been able to swim free style, without Nadine and Steph from Restore and the K Tape job, in pink I might add, for breast cancer month, it could have been worst.   The shore break weren't the biggest I had seen, but the sequencing seemed hard to judge and the waves didn't go away as you leave the shore break.  This was the roughest swimming conditions I have seen the past four years here.  I would come out in 36 min, and although I haven't been able to swim much, I was disappointed.  I would have my work cut out on the bike.


Bike report brought to you by Gray: as I stated earlier, I knew the course would be perfect today. It had time to dry but would be dusty and loose like previous years.  The problem by exiting the water late is that you have to fight the good swimmers that are not so good riders.  So it was a game of " on your left " and " thank you" trying to pass people.  I have to admit that most people were good about it.   The bike felt good and I was progressing well.  I passed  a lot of rider, I even caught myself smiling in the last couple of miles in the single track.  I'd come in just at the 2 hour mark which was an improvement from last year.  After a quick transition from the bike it was time to start running.

Run report brought to you by SUGOI: After some encouragement from Steph, the grueling run would start.  It was hot, and after riding hard, running up hill is not easy.  I forced myself to run although I pass plenty of people walking.  The saving grace was the aid station, with great volunteer and cold water and Gatorade.  After all the climbing came the down, which is not always so easy on tired legs. It always a delicate balance in order to avoid cramps.  The last part is the beech run, on one side of the coin, it's a welcome site, on the other hand, if you have had experience running on sand, it's not fun.  Steph and my inlaws were there to greet me as I was approaching the finish line.  It was a nice feeling to finish and to have Steph and her parents there.  I finished 34th in my age group which was the biggest one.  As for the rest of the tribe, Al and GL both podium in there respective age group, Pat had a great race missing the podium by one.  Allison had a fantastic race improving substantially from her time last year.  I have many people to thank but I will do this tomorrow, for now it's time for a beer and the post race dinner.  Happy trail!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment