Tuesday, August 19, 2014

ITU world championship

Race Report, ITU world cross, Zittau Germany

The day started gloomy, rained part of the night. It was grey, cold and wet. As we roll into transition, the rain stopped, making everyone wish this was it for the race, how wrong were we. My wave was starting at 10 am. After warming up, it was clear that my shoulder was better but not enough to free style, had to accept the fact and try to catch up on the bike. The gun went off and I settled into my stroke, watching yen the main field slowly leaving me behind. As exited the water, I was faster than the week before but still had a long road ahead. By then the sky had opened up again but I decided to stick to my usual race, no socks, no jacket. I figure I had to show that Canadians could race in cold conditions and though it out. As I mentioned , there is always something special about wearing the maple leaf, I wasn't about to disappoint. I started picking riders one by one, not knowing if they were in my age group or not. On the first hike a bike section I saw Allison Moore who had started ahead of us, a quick hello and I forged on, carrying my bike on my shoulder. I was very muddy, muddiest race I have ever done. Halfway through the race, I also started running out of breaks, I suspect air in my brake line. As I came in through transition, I had no clue where I was standing but I would finish the 36km bike in 2:08. By then it had stopped raining but I was covered in mud from head to toe. I made the decision not to out some socks on for the run as my feet were too dirty. The run course suits me, short climbs, flats and down hill. As I suspected I started blistering around km 3, but I was willing to deal with it. I cross the finish line in 3:24 which was good for 15/37 in my age and 106/260 overall in the Men. My good friend Alan Moore finished in 3 in his age and my roommate extraordinaire Gl Brown finished 2. This was a though race with some of the hardest bike conditions I have seen in a while. Thanks to Gray/Synergy for the wicked bike and wetsuit, Sugoi for the great clothes, Vega for my nutrition and Cap's Westwood maple ridge for taking care of my bike. Now there are a few people that deserve a special thanks. First and foremost my FiancĂ©e Stephanie McCann for looking after y shoulder and putting up with me being away and racing, wouldn't be able to do it without her. As well my physio Christina Mattiello and Chiro Kevin Lunnie. In addition, Nadine from restore physiotherapy who also too great care of me and my shoulder. Without these treatments I wouldn't never been able to make it to the start line. Special thank to my work NWPD and my coworker for the support and help.  One more race in this years calendar, Xterra World Maui. I have 8 weeks to get ready and work on my swim. Hope you enjoyed the journey, Happy Trails
Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment