Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Czech Mate, Xterra Czech

Better be late than ever, since I finally got back into my blog, let's do a race recap of Xterra Czech.

The race took place in the town of Prachatice, which about 2 hours south of Prague.  The weather that morning was on the fringe,  promise of thundershower and rain were in the horizon. It was a late start, 1300, as it is with most European Races.  I was nervous and and anxious, I hadn't swam over 5 weeks nursing a shoulder injury and I was wondering what would happen.  It was a wetsuit legal swim but alas my shoulder told me that freestyle  would have to wait.  I began  the task of breast stroking the entire swim course, 1500 meter which also believe to was on the long side.  As exited the water I had to deal with the grim reality, I was one of the last one out of the water.  I got on my bike and proceeded to give it all, slowly picking riders one by one.  Now this course is long (37 km), has a lot of climbing (3500 feet or so) and has some technical sections.  I saw my friends Al, Sean and Morgan cheering at a couple check point as they were in a relay, I waved quickly and forged on. I would ultimately pass 40 + people on the bike.  As I came into transition and got into the run, the rain started.  The run was a two loop course with again a lot of elavation and the first lap wasn't easy.  When you race you have so many matches to burn and I felt that I had burned a lot on the bike.  On one of the descent, my hamstring was debating if  it was to cramp or not so I had to slow down.  On  the second lap by leg had settled  and I was glad to cross the finish line.  I would be lying if I said I was satisfied with my race, I thad hope to be able to swim freestyle and with being at least 8 minutes slower, it doesn't bode well in a very competitive age group.  Another part of my was happy as I had been able to race, felt strong on the bike.  This was a good race to shake the rust off after almost 2 months without a race. I was also grateful for all they people that had taken the time to work on my shoulder and help me getting back on track.  Happy Trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment