Sunday, July 4, 2010

Subaru Westcoast Triathlon

Greeted by a gray sky this morning I made my way to the Jericho sailing club bright and early for the Subaru sprint Triathlon. This tri has been down at Jericho since 2007 and I have done it every year. As the half iron division took off an hour fifteen before us, I took the time to watch the start and cheer them on. As usual, some pre race bad luck was to happen to me and I nicked my wetsuit, not happy about that! Our start was at 7:45 and the water temperature was 16 degree, not too warm let me tell you. As I got near to round the first buoy it was a bit of a gong show. There was a fairly strong current and I had to deal with lots of people. I would get out of the water in 9:46 for the 500m and alas I just can't get any faster. After a quick transition to my bike I was off on the course, eager to catch some of the better swimmer. I booked the bike course in 43 min for he 26 km and was happy with that. After another fast transition I was off for a 5 km run where I was able to reel in 4 males competitors. I ended up crossing the finish line with a male from the 40-49 division as we had battled hard almost the whole way. My overall time was 1:16:34, good for a 4th place in my age group and 21 out 154 racers overall. I was quite happy with this time even though the podium eluded me. I was almost 4 minutes faster than last year. As for my placement for the emergency division, it wasn't up yet but I will let you guys know when I see it. I will be in Osoyoos next weekend for the Desert Half Ironman, another race in preparation of Ironman Canada. Happy Trails

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment