Monday, July 12, 2010

Desert Half, the aftermath

I woke Sunday morning bright and early. As usual I was nervous, you'd think I would be use to it by now but that's just the way it goes I suppose. I arrived at the transition at the opening, I'm not one to get there too early usually but I wanted a nice parking spot. As the race was about to start, the organizers had a piper playing before sending the first wave off. As the piper was playing, I had a thought for Sgt. Keith Logan, who was my co worker and a great piper. Sadly he lost his battle to Cancer a few years back. The swim course was a 1km loop which need to be done twice. As you all know I'm not the greatest swimmer but I have to admit I almost enjoyed it. I exited the water in 38:20 and I was quite please with it. The next leg was a daunting 90 km bike leg. With half the distance and 80% of the total elevation that I will see at Ironman, coupled with the rising temperature, I knew this would be a challenge. The bike course was not easy but a tail wind on the return portion made it easier with speed close to 40 km/hrs on the flat. I would book the bike section in 2:52, and god knows I drank a lot of liquid. I was now off to the run, by then it was easily 34 degrees and my legs were not happy. The volunteers were great and at every aid station I would make sure to drink and some sponges soaked in water to try to cool myself off. I booked 21.1 km run in 1:51 and although I would have like to be faster, I just didn't have it in me. My total time was 5:28 good for 8th in my age group. Considering the heat and how tough the course was, I am happy with my time. What's in store for me next? No more racing until Ironman, I have a 5 days training camp next week so I will update you then. Stay tuned for Gear 2.0, will talk about my nemesis: Swimming! Happy trails

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment