Friday, March 27, 2015

Saipan, the aftermath

It's never a good sign when you wake up and it's raining, and it looks like it has been raining all night.  Mother Nature had decided to show who's the boss and the perfect riding conditions were now out the window.  As I set my transition, it kept raining and I was even a bit cold.... The swim was waiting for us and with the current, i would have to make sure I was heading the right way.  After the first buoy the current was carrying us away towards the second one at a fast pace.  At one point my good friend Al was next to me, not sure if he was trying to knock me out but ultimately I think he got behind me and drafted me. After the second turn, the water was shallow enough for me to dolphin dive and I realized that I was going faster than people trying to swim.  After two laps I was out of the water and on to my bike, still greated by rain.  As I exited the first off road section onto the road I took the curve and my wheels went under me. The result was a 10 foot slide on my right side, clipped in my pedals and fast approaching a concrete wall with my head.  Luckily enough I stopped and after dealing my chain ( pro Olivier Marceau suffered the same faith as me 30 second or so before but had a broken chain refraining him from continuing)I got back up but missed a turn, which cause me to have to turn around and lose valuable time. 

 Then came the second crash into a technical section with the result of a broken spoke on my rear wheel.  I was starting to wonder if my run of bad luck would finally stop!  It took me a while but I finally caught up to what I thought was the front of the field for age grouper and after passing the last guy, I thought I was in command.  On the back side of Tapachou I even caught up to a Korean pro in one of the tricky section. I finished the bike bang up and didn't know how much gap I had created with my field so now wasn't the time to take a break.  I headed on the run, happy with my first mile time, which would decrease once in the jungle. The footing was treacherous and very slippery but I manage a good run, rain helping to cool off the conditions.  I crossed the finish in 3:23 happy to find out that I was the first age grouper to cross the line and knowing I had just punched my ticket for Maui.  As for the usual suspects, Al had a great race despite the conditions and he finished first in his age group, also good for a ticket to Maui.  Allison ,who was in great shape coming into this race and battled today's adversities like a season veteran was also able to earn a slot for Maui.  Last but not least, legendary GL Brown came through at the finish and earn his slot.  

As for me those last two weeks of racing and training were very successful with two top finish this early in the season, I couldn't be happier.  Congrats to all the racers today who fought a hard battles in harsh conditions and let's not forget the volunteers who did an amazing job. Happy Trails! 

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment