Saturday, October 27, 2012

Gear 2.0: Hydration


Hydration is the key in warm weather.  It has been hot all week in Maui and unless the trade winds rolls in on Sunday, we could easily see temperature in the mid 30's.  I don't claim to have all the answer but since I have been in the endurance sports game for the last 12 years, I have learn a few things.  Here's what I do when I race in hot weather.  First all my fluid intake is in an electrolyte form.  I like to use GU brew blueberry/pomegranate in one of my bike bottles bottles, it has double the sodium.  I also like using hammer nutrition products, I usually make a calorie bottle with Heed and Perpetum.  I find my stomach process the energy better when it's in a liquid form.  On a hot race day I will easily for through 4 bottles and will exchange on the fly at the aid station.  I also use Hammer Gels, Raspberry is my favourite flavour.  On the run I will use some gel for energy and will drink at every aid station.   For this race they offer Gatorade, since it doesn't bother me that's what I will drink.  The key is to find that you will like and that do the trick.  In hot conditions I also like to use salt tablets. Now there are many brands and they are not all created equals again you have to find something you like.  I personally use either hammer Endurolytes or salt sticks.  Remember there are may factors that can't be control on race day, if you take care of your hydration, it will be one less think to worry about and you will have a successful race.  Happy Trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment