Saturday, February 13, 2010

Vancouver (Day 106)

I'll be back!

The crew was short and I was activated first thing in the morning so I ran another 35 km today. What a day! Our first celebrity was the Governator Arnold. I met him briefly as we assisted his team to get him out of the crowd.


Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

As the day progressed the crowd became bigger and bigger. On Georgia Street there must have been close to 150,000 people. As we were navigating in the sea of people I couldn't believe the amount of people that came to see the Olympic flame. I also briefly met the Premier and the Prime Minister at two different venues. They both thanked us personally for our work several times.

As we moved along, the crowds were great and it was nice to see the Canadian spirit along the way. As we brought the final torchbearer to rest you could see in the eyes of our security unit the sense of accomplishment of what we had done.

I am proud to say that the torch did not get extinguished on our watch, except by mother nature. Our unit looked after 12,000 runners and ran countless miles. I can honestly say that my BC teammates were great and I will be sad to see them go.

If the spirit that I saw in every community is an indication of how Canada will do during the games we should be showered in gold!

I really believe that the Olympic flame united Canada and showed how patriotic Canadians can be. As the cauldron gets lit tonight, I will be able to say that a part of us travelled with that flame. Let the games begin! Go Canada Go!

I hope you enjoyed my journey, I sure did.

Carpe Diem,

Chuck,

P.S. I want to take the time to thank NWPS for allowing me to go on this detail. They have always been very supportive of my endeavours at work as well as my races. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment