Monday, October 28, 2013

The world is not enough....

Today was race day and I was fortunate to take part in my 3 world championship in Maui.  The weather was nice, sunny and hot.  Shockingly no calamity fell on us today!  No jelly fish, Tsunami or high surf.  Close to 800 people would take part and as I would later find out , 92 guys in my division alone.  After a blessing ceremony the gun went of for the pros and than 2 min later it would be the men.  I started far right as the current was pushing right to left but could have been a bit further.  The swim course is 1500 in a M design, the first peak being 500 m away so by the time you're running on the beach to head back to the water, you're 1000 m into the swim. I had hope to have a better swim time this year but when it was all said and done, it was about the same.  After a transition that could have been a bit faster I was off on the bike course.  This year was a beast with 32 km, 3600 feet of climbing.  I decided to ease of on the first half so I would have something left for the second half. This would pay off as I would be able to tackle the twist and turn of the last few miles and pass people.  Off to T2 with a decent transition and I was off on the run.  Another though run with close to 1200 feet of climbing and a beach run.  I was hoping to be running the same time than last year but I knew that the bike course had taxed my legs, I'd finish slightly slower than last year on the run.  I ended up finishing 26 in my age group and was quite please with it.  This wasn't an easy race and the hot weather did not help either.  Congrats to all my friends that finished, Al, Allison, GL, Roy, Sean and Patrick. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment