Friday, March 8, 2013

When it rains.....

Woke this morning, feeling good.  The hotel was a short distance from the start of the race, quick rack and was back in my room for breaks.  The usual pre race meal, 2 packets of apple cinnamon oat meal and I was good.  You could see rain could on the mountain, rain.... Really! As the gun went off, the current was fairly strong to the first turn, by the second turn, I needed to have a 50 degree angle just to stay in line.  After a rough swim, I was out of the water, bit slower than I though with a 33 min but I think the course was a bit long, the watch said 1.76 km.  up on the bike and it was raining, I was settling into a rhythm after the climb and was just heading into the single track when the improbable happened.  As I took a turn and went over concrete, I leaned into my left side and my carbon handle bar shattered in half.  That was it for me, race over.  DNF, first time in 3 years of Xterra racing and nothing I could do about.  Very desapointed, roll back down the hill and rack my bike.  I was shortly met by David from New Caledonia, his bike had failed him.  Allison also met us and ad derailleur issues.  We were allowed to run the run course and that was it for me.  2 more races including one more Xterra in Guam.  Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment