Sunday, September 4, 2011

Xterra Canada, in a race where only the strong would survive

After an early arrival to set up my transition, I was to marking and pick up mu chip. It was cold this morning but once the sun came out, it warmed up pretty quickly. My friend Roy was also racing. The water temperature wasn't too bad but the glare from the sun on the water made the sighting of the first bouy was very difficult. Now swimming is not my strength and I would exit the water on 28 min, not too bad but I wish I could be faster. My transition felt sluggish a bit but I was off to tackle a very technical 9 km loop on the bike. All was going well until I crashed closed to the end the first loop. The way I fell and hit a root, I'm lucky I don't have a bruised kidney. I forged on my second lap, knowing that my buddy Roy was ahead. The second lap was smoother, although I wish I would have been faster, I was happy with my bike. The run was a monster, 10 km ish, 1800 feet of elevation and lots of climbing. I fell running, I was lucky not to break a leg ( notice a theme here this weekend?!) I crossed the finish line in 3:34 , 4 minutes short of the goal I had set up for this race. Roy did great and finished 9 minutes ahead of me. Although I placed well overall 41/ 125 or so, I was disappointed with 8/11 in my age group. This was by far the thoughest Xterra this season. I have a collection of cut and bruises. I will be back in Whistler next Saturday at the end of the Grand Fondo. This road event isa race ( the giro) for licence riders with cat 1,2 and 3. I will be in that start. There is also a recreational division. The race leaves from
downtown Vancouver and cover 120 km of road to Whistler village. Hope you're enjoying your long weekend. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment