Saturday, September 24, 2011

5 peaks trail running race

Woke up to a beautiful sunny morning, felt like summer. I wish I would have been at the US Xterra nationals competing today in Utah, but as a Canadian the only way you can be the is as a pro. Lance was there and it would have been great to see him. My frien Al and GL were competing and would take 3 respectively in their age group, what a great job! After taking a weekend off from racing, I was looking forward to run in my back yard trails! I entered the sport course today, 8 km of trail running. The gun went off at 10 sharp, with a self seed, I placed myself at the start. I know il get caught but I rather start up front. As the race progressed I got caught by 2 young men, who ultimately would finish 1 and 2 overall. I'm treating this race as a tuned up race for the worlds, but I was still giving it all. With about 500 m to go I would get caught by one more male, he would finished 10 seconds ahead of me. I took 4th overall and first in my age group. I'm pleased with the result. Today was also the first day of racing with my new Salomon cross race shoes. A super light trail running shoe, these babies are for racing. In really liked them although the bright colors of lime green and red could be a bit more subttle. I have the first cross race of the season tomorrow, frankly I will probably get killed. I'm racing master 1/2 for starters and I'm not in cross shape. That said I'm treating this race again as a tune up race for the worlds. Weather forecast is rain, just like a cycle cross race should be. Brighton park in Vancouver is the site if anyone is interested to come watch, 1 pm is the start. I want to congratulate Al and GL today for their performance, I know they seized the day. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment