Sunday, June 19, 2011

Test of Metal, the aftermath!

I decided to ride the new steed for the race. After a quick training ride Thursday I figure I had nothing to loose. I woke up to the sound of rain saturday morning which did not make me very happy. After arriving in Squamish, the rain had stop but I knew that the course would be wet and close tona 1000 riders, the trail could get chewed up pretty quickly. The gun went off at 11 on the nose and the mad pace on the pavement too place in order to get to the trails with good riders. I wish I could have been a bit faster as I got caught in a long line where riders were not going very fast. Once it opened up, I started gaining some ground but had to fix my quick release on my rear wheel. I continued until the big climb and after, the dreaded plunge, a black diamond, technical single track. The big wheels worked awesome and despite the slick roots and terrain, I was happy with how it went. About 10 min from the end, my saddle bag unhooked and I hade to put it in my jersey. I would finish the race in 3:32:22 good for 28/155 in my age group and 186/826 overall. I was hoping for a faster time but considering that it was wet, muddy and that I was riding a new bike, I'm satisfied with the result. A big congrats to my friend Susan from Portland who finished her first test of metal and did great. I will be racing locally next weekend at the cardiac classic on Burnaby mountain. This race is part of the BC cup and I will be racing masters. As its name suggest, there is some good climbs! Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment