Monday, June 6, 2011

Oliver, the aftermath!

Sunday morning came in early as I made my way to transition for 6 am. I got a great racking spot, just by the bike exit. After having set my transition, I put my wetsuit on and headed to the water. The water was not too cold and it promised to be a hot and sunny day. I decided to seed myself on the inside for the swim, looking back now I was not too happy about my choice. I exited the water in 40 min. I made my way to transition and started the 93 km bike section. After my first lap of two, my rear wheel suddenly locked on me. I managed not to crash into find out that my rear tire was shredded which meant that it was it for me. I already had resigned myself to call it when the neutral car service pulled over. The boys from the bike barn came to the rescue and changed tube and tire. I then got back on my bike tried to make out the 5-8 minutes that I had lost. Another quick transition to the run but by then the heat started to be punishing. I finished the race in 5 hours 20 min, good for 23/74 in my age group and 113 out of 780 racers. I have mixed feeling about my race. I was having a good day on the bike but the mechanical broke my rhythm. My run was not as good as last year but the heat was a factor. Such is life in racing. I would be amiss not to congratulate my friend Rebecca and Roy who had a great race although he needed a trip to the medic tent for dehydration. Finally a big congrats to my frien Ann who finished her first half ironman. I'm sure they all seized the day. As for me, the next race is on June 18 for the test of metal, a 67km mountain biking race in beautiful Squamish. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment