Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cardiac classic: the need for a super hero?!

We were greeted with sunshine today which was a nice change from all this rain we have been having. I was debating which riding jersey to wear today. After all the rain I figure it was time to take the super hero jersey out for a spin. Super Groover was taken out of the closet and matching socks to go with it. The cardiac classic is a 25 km mountain bike race that take place on Burnaby mountain. As the name would indicate, we have to go up this monster climb 3 times. I was racing in the 30-39 age group and was in the first wave. As usual the pace is crazy at the start and I had a hard time keeping with the front riders. I settled at my racing pace and went on to the first climb. The down hill is a nice mix of technical single track and open road. I was riding on the 29 er today and the big wheels where nice over the technical portions. By the 3rd time going up the hill, I was looking forward to the finish line. I would cross in 1:59:40 which was almost 5 min faster than my time last year. Not sure whe I placed but I was happy with my time. For you stat savvy, I burned 2000 calories, climbed 3500 feet of elevation gain over the 25 km. Next weekend I will be at Jericho beech for the Subaru sprint triathlon. This race hold a special place for me as it was my very first triathlon back in 2007. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment