Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Tale from the trails

After a few days in Lisbon, we arrived in Golega. Order of business was to build the steed and go ride the course. I was lucky to have some riding companions including one of the pro from Belgium who had ridden the course.  Let me preface this, they had lots of rain here these past few days.  We're talking flood type rain! Having said that, the course was fairly dry overall.  There is a section that might be diverted but I was able to ride the course.  The first 7 km is a very flat and fast section, but don't think it's going to be the norm.  There are a lot of climbs, usually short but steep, some even punchy.  Combine it with loose rocks and you now have to pick the right lines.  The descents are the same, single track and rocky which requires some bike handling.  With an elevation gain of 1800 feet or so I'm opting for a 30 ring upfront ( running a 1x11 on my awesome Felt nine1) will loose a bit of speed an the flat but I think it will pay dividend on the climbs.  Lastly there was a section near the end where I had to walk my bike as the water came above my knees. Was quite refreshing though! Dirt factor 3.5/5 stay tune for more scouting report.  Happy trails!

Carpe Diem 

No comments:

Post a Comment