Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Xterra Boise, the aftermath

We got up Saturday morning  and headed early to transition ad Steph was doing her first triathlon, taking part in the sprint.  Her race started an hour before mine so we both headed at the same time.  I would only see her swim as she would be long on the course by the time my race started. I wad a bit nervous for her, it was her first time mountain biking, beside the 30 minute lesson she got from me the day before as she had decided to race as my friend Lisa happened to have a spare bike fitting her.  although the course wasn't overly technical, I was hoping she' d be fine.  Ultimately she would do awesome, finishing third in her age group!  As for my race, the swim was longer than usual, which did not help me and would ultimately cost me a spot on the podium.  The bike course was 2 laps and was trying to go as fast as I could to make up time.  One technical descent with rocks was on the menu as well as 2 very steep climb.  I would ultimately fall once, on my second lap in the technical section and would have the 9th fastest bike split on the day.  The run course was fast although a 24 %  grade hill would greet me twice.  I would ultimately have the 5th fastest running time.  I finished 12th overall but sadly 4th in my age group, proving that the locals were fast.  Thankfully the weather was overcast so we did not overheat too much.  As usual I can't thank my sponsors enough, Cap's Westwood cycle maple ridge store who always get my race steed in prime shape.  Synergy wetsuit and Gray cycle, Sugoi clothing and Vega.  Not sure what I will be able to squeeze before Xterra worlds races wise but stay tuned for some update and some gear review.  A big thanks to Lisa for loaning her bike, Allison for showing us Boise and Al for cheering although I think he would have much rather be racing.  Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment