Sunday, September 2, 2012

Xterra Canada Eh!

I awaken to fresh snow on the mountains this morning, not too sure what to make of it.  Roy tells me haven't you heard the rain last night?  I obviously did not as I was passed out in bed.  Now I'm not opposed to snow but that usual means temperature drop which translate in cold water, I don't like cold water.  This race was a bit different with two separate transition.  T1 at the lake and T2 by the Nordic Center.  After a short race briefing we were bus down to the lake.  The swim  was a bit different consisting of 3 x 500 meter loops ( allegedly) the garmin would say 1800 m! I don't need more swim mileage but I digress. The water was still cold and for some reason I just could catch my breath.  Smwim time 29 min.  Onto the bike course where the rain didn't do as much damage as I thought .  I thoroughly enjoyed the bike course and I book the first loop in a decenct time.  After a quick refueling, courtesy of a bottle swap by my girlfriend Stephanie , I was on for the second loop and I have to admit, I was grinning, thoroughly enjoying the bike course.  After a quick transition I was off to the 2 x 5km loop.  I was feeling  pretty good and it was time to see if I could catch up to Roy who usually have a 6 min advantage on me off the bike.  As I was closed to finish the first loop I saw Roy on his second, quick check on the watch told me that he was about a km ahead.  I forged on, not sure if I would be able to catch him.  As Inwas approaching the finish line, I could see Roy in the distance but I wouldn't be able to catch him, finishing 2 places behind him overall.  I was happy with my run time, good for 28 fastest time overall.  I would finish 7/17 in my age group, good for 41/150 overall.  Roy would finish 39 and 6 in his age group.  It was nice to have friendly faces at the finish line,  my girlfriend Stephanie, Barb and my good buddy Elbert and his family from Calgary and my 1 year old god daughter Victoria.  Well that is it for the Canmore adventure, next stop the World Championship in Maui!  Until then, happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment