Saturday, September 25, 2010

Gear 2.0: Cyclo cross

There has been a new addition to stable Fortier this week, a cycle cross steed has been added to the lineup. What is cycle cross you ask? Well although this will be my first time doing cyclo races, I will try to explain what it entails. Let's start with the bike. Imagine a road bike, with beefier wheels, more aggressive tread and a canter leaver break system. Change the frame a bit so it's easier to shoulder the bike when you run with. Add an off road course with man made obstacle such as stairs, barrier and sand traps. Give a set amount of lap and make the race around 45 min in duration and voilĂ , that's cyclo cross in a nut shell. This sport is a true fall cycling one where rain, mud and sleet will not stop a race to take place. I always wanted to try it, starting next week I will! For the tech savvy my new bike is a Norco CCX outfitted with SRAM Rival grouping and mavic wheels. As usual Chris and the boys from Experience cycling build the bike and now I have to practice dismount, running with my bike and cornering. I will be competing in the UCI master +35 and I expect to have my butt kicked, as it is a very competitive division but it should be fun. As for the rest of the riding equipment needed, the standard helmet gloves applies and other apparel applies. Cyclo cross is a cheap sport compare to others, the bikes are relatively cheap, entry fees are reasonable and it's a good way to finish the season and is actually very spectator friendly. I will be taking part in 2 races next weekend so stay tuned. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment