Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vancouver half marathon

I woke up this morning bright and early as the race starts in down town Vancouver at 7 am. My legs, especially my calfs, were sore from yesterday's race which would prove interesting. As I was early at the start line, I decided to seed myself upfront using the same principal, I'd rather be passed than fighting thousands of people. The familiar voice of announcing icon Steve King greeted me as the countdown was fast approaching. 6500 people would finished the half! As the gun went off, I could feel my body, particularly my legs, protesting. By the halfway mark I was starting to question my sanity in racing back to back days. By the time we hit the big climb at Stanley park, my legs were clearly not happy with me. The saving grace was that it was at least sunny, which made it easier. By km 17, my body was saying, are we done yet? I crossed the finish line in 1:39:45, a personal best for me. I don't think I could have gone any faster but I was pleased with my time considering the fast pace from yesterday I was 52/364 in my age group and 343/6500 overall. My legs deserve a break, although I will be back training Tuesday, I will not be racing next weekend, I need a break. I hope you got to enjoy the sunny day. Happy trails!

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment